The bizzare world of online politics

Internet has become a wonderland of misinformation and memes


Illustration by Erin Kim

Former President Donald Trump points accursedly at the Twitter bird as current President Joe Biden consoles him.

The internet has been known for giving us access to an endless amount of information.
But it has also been known for giving us shocking and sometimes even weird answers to our deepest inquiries as well.
You can never know when someone will ask something that is so profoundly absurd it’s just plain funny at that point.
One magical place on the internet where you can find answers to your most mind-boggling queries is none other than Twitter, now officially owned by billionaire Elon Musk. Musk has clearly helped Twitter soar in popularity, so he totally didn’t blow $40 billion to make the social media platform worthless.
Recently, Claudia Conway –the daughter of Kellyanne Conway, the former top adviser to then-President Donald Trump, and George Conway, the esteemed critic of the former president, used Twitter to mock several Republican politicians, including people like Tucker Carlson.
In a tweet on March 14, Kellyanne Conway asked her followers to answer the pivotal question: Who would win in a fight: the Green M&M or Senator Ted Cruz?
Unexpectedly, an astounding 98.4 percent of voters thought the Green M&M would win the fight, leaving only 1.6 percent, presumably all of people related to Cruz, who thought the US Senator from Texas would win.
It was always obvious that the M&M would win of course. Poor Ted never stood a chance. I wonder if the Green M&M prepared for the fight, or if she just winged it.
Similarly, Conway later asked her followers who would win in a dance battle, Tucker Carlson or Clifford the Big Red Dog.
A whopping 96.4 percent of voters thought Clifford would win. Most people knows that Carlson was on “Dancing with the Stars”, but he seems to be no competition for the giant cherry colored cartoon dog.
Let’s also talk about the app TikTok, which has taken over a lot of social media, not to mention the minds of many teens, including Cal students.
The absurd findings that people read when scrolling through their feed is unbelievable.
According to ABC7 News, nearly 20 percent of the information that has been yielded on TikTok’s search results show misinformation.
That’s not exactly a shocking revelation.
Speaking of misinformation, the first result when people searched for the phrase “Was the 2020 election stolen?”, was a video from July 2022 with the caption “The Election Was Stolen!”
Evidently, TikTok is no stranger to misinformation in the way of politics.
Remember that little factoid from ABC7 about nearly 20 percent of info being misleading? Now apply that to videos about the previous election and you have yourself a maelstrom of misinformation.
Election officials in all 50 states have confirmed the integrity of the election, and even the top officials of the Trump administration have also dismissed claims of fraud. (Although not Trump himself).
So let me get this straight, some people on TikTok think Trump should be president of the United States for not just two more years, but six more, and also stated that Trump was cheated on by every single politician in power.
How ludicrous is it that people online really think that every politician out there thought, “screw that guy”, and wanted to rig the presidential election to succeed in their mastermind plan? Which was of course, to never let Trump run for office ever again.
Well, even if that did actually happen, would it really be that bad?
If theres one thing that we can count on our politicians for, its that they rarely fail to make us laugh at their sheer absurdity.