Rumored bomb threat causes school evacuation

This was the year of crazy things happening at Cal High. One of those events happened to be the bomb threat.

It was a normal September day, like any other boring school day for the students at Cal. The morning went by with no signs of trouble until the sharp ringing of the alarms went off at 11:15 a.m.

Everyone was led out to the football field with no real knowledge of what was happening. There were people curious about what was up while others were simply happy to get out of class.

After being herded out of their rooms, carrying their heavy supplies, all the students were plopped down on the football field, thinking that it would be a short, regular drill.

But as the turf slowly crept into the students’ pores, they began to realize that maybe this wasn’t just a drill. The sun was beating down on their backs, and the situation was getting a bit suspicious.

After about 15 minutes, rumors about a bomb threat were spreading through the throng of students. Everyone was sweaty, and the redheads were already beginning to get sunburnt.

Eventually the rumor was proven true, and all the students sat in the hot sun for an hour and a half. Admin kindly set up a PVC pipe with holes spouting water for the parched students.

The assembly of students had the atmosphere of a 1960s music festival, if all the acts were loud underclassmen and the only hallucinations were from dehydration.

There was a beautiful sense of community on that fake lawn.

Whenever the announcer called out a name, an  elementary school sound of “OOOOOHHHHHHHHH” resounded from the crowd.

The campus ended up being searched by HAZMAT officials, Walnut Creek Police bomb squad, and BART police explosive-sniffing dogs. They later concluded that there was no real threat.

This incident began because of an anonymous phone call that was made to the front office. The students officially found out what happened from Principal Sarah Wondolowski.

She sent out an email that was read out to sixth period classes two days later. Wondolowski explained that the phone call was made by a citizen who overheard a conversation on a video game that led him to believe there could be a bomb threat at Cal.